Sunday, July 12, 2009

Inadequacies

Have you ever tried to avoid something because you feel like you aren't good enough or smart enough and you fear failure if you attempt to do that certain thing?
OR
Have you ever looked back on your life at something you used to be good at and thought, " I'll never be good at that like I used to be."?

WELL, I DO THAT ALL OF THE TIME!
And I'm here to tell you that it's
coming to an end, my friends.
Let me tell you a story.........
5 years ago, I decided to continue to pursue my education after I graduated high school. Why wouldn't I? Jim was on his mission still and I had nothing better to do. (Yes, this was the poor, crummy attitude that I had about school). So I enrolled myself in some courses that would route me to an Elementary Education degree. And guess what? ...........................I thought it was dumb. Sad, but true story. I kept my grades up just enough to pass with all A's, but truly, my heart was not in it. I just wanted Jim to come home so we could get married.
SO, my wish was granted and now, 4 1/2 years later, I feel like I am living the dream. I live in a beautiful state with a home that I love, a loving husband, and 2 beautiful children. I feel like the last 4 years have been so good to me and indeed, I AM BLESSED.
The last few months, however, I have had a few nudges.......this little voice keeps telling me that I need to go back to school. I tried to ignore it. Besides, I have way too much on my shoulders right now like my full-time job called CHILDREN. Still, this little voice persists, and now I am putting up my flag of surrender and saying,
"Alrighty then! I guess it's time!"
SO, I am heading back to complete my degree in Elementary Education at UVU, hopefully this Fall Semester, if not, Spring Semester.
Do I want to be an Elementary Teacher?
I don't know yet, but I know that is what I am supposed to do.
Do I feel like my brain is completely fried and all I know are my ABC's and 1-2-3's?
Yes. That's all I'm going to say about that.
Do I feel overwhelmed and concerned about the time I will get to spend with my children?
Definitely. In fact, this has been the hardest part about making this decision. Yet, I know that the Lord will make sure I am able to give them all of the love and attention they need from me as their mother.
Does the light at the end of this tunnel seem pretty distant?
You better believe it!
Am I going to do it anyway?
Yes.
This is what the Lord wants me to do, so I am going to put my faith in Him and trust that He will help me with this.
Wish me luck! (I need all the luck I can get).
P.S. Here is some pictures of the ones who help me
"keep the faith".
Jim, you do too. I love you. :)


9 comments:

The Chambers said...

OH my gosh Bethany, you are GORGEOUS! Your "little heroes" are GEMS! You are such a wonderful mother. If you keep hearing those little voices, you've got to do it. And the prophets have told us to get our education, the Lord will bless you for listening to his prophets. It will be hard and lots of trials, but you are a smart girl! YOU CAN DO IT! And an elementary school teacher I think is WONDERFUL! It will be a very rewarding career to raise our nations children. You would be a GREAT example to them. I'm SO PROUD OF YOU!

Alyssa said...

I am so proud of you, Bethy! More than anything for following the Spirit even though what it directs seems hard and just a little inconvenient. But you are right - if that's what Heavenly Father wants you to do, He will help you do it. You have such a pure and willing heart. You will do it and you will be just fine - Heavenly Father will bless you and your family. If there is anything I can do, I am happy to so please let me know.

Lynnie said...

I appreciate so much where your heart is, and that you're being so brave about following what the Lord is asking you to do. Thank you so much for cherishing your blessings. As has been said, you CAN do it! School is an amazing thing to help you feel like you're accomplishing tangible things and making notable progress. Every step on the way is worth it.

dandnblack said...

I know exactly what you mean! I am dreading going back to school especially with everything else we have on our plate but because of that little voice in the back of my head and our uncertain future I know that I have to go back to school. YOU CAN DO IT! And it will be so worth it. You are so beautiful and such a good mother. We love you and miss you tons!

Jenna said...

you go girl! I am going back this fall too and although its online, i know i will have to go the the university next year and do student teaching! scary but i know its worth it because the prophets said so! for us women, education is just as important as it is for the men :0) im proud of you mamma! how far along are you anyways?

♥jenna

Sarah said...

Wow good luck in your endeavors of continuing your education! Way to listen to the holy ghost, you will be blessed for following. I've been considering it for a while, but it's not the time for me right now.

Marilee said...

Wahoo! Go Bethany. Just remember that I am your neighbor so if you ever need anything you better hollar!!!

Donna said...

Bethany,
I think you are so smart in doing that...and you will be able to because you know that you should...good for you and good luck!
Love you,
Auntie Donna

the straz fam said...

GOOD LUCK! It must be a hard decision to make, but I'm sure someday you will look back on it and be so happy that you chose to go back to school. I know you will do awesome!!